Wow....wake up music

In my youth, I had the honor of conducting several youth orchestras. I would have walked through walls for these kids because of their dedication. Their families too. We rehearsed in Lexington on Saturday mornings from 9am until noon and we NEVER missed. They could never miss either or give up their spot. No exceptions. No excuses. Hospital yes. Sick in bed? No.
I loved that work because of all the distractions these really really bright kids had, and they were generally from well to do families that valued the arts in their kid's lives, they showed up. I had 120 in one of the orchestras and we went through months with 100% there and ready to go.  (120 x's 10-15 year olds...in 5 years I never had to raise my voice once).
Venezuala has hatched a program (couple of decades ago) where it figured it was much easier to hand anyone (that means anyone) who wants to try, a music instrument and free lessons.  So 5% of the entire (that means EVERYONE) under 21 is in this program now.  This is the top orchestra probably out of 1000 youth orchestras there. They are playing a hard piece that taxes professional musicians. WAKE UP CALL.

Comments