Excellence

I got this letter the other day from Valparaiso University.  It was from Alumni Relations from a woman with the exalted position of "Director of Giving".  I went to VU for two years and I might add without stellar reviews and frankly it was the best school I've gone to in my life...including some time at Columbia, Julliard, 2 other Ivy and two other big ten and particularly 1 SEC school. Yes I spent a lot of time going to classes here and there.

I joined a fraternity there, phi sigma epsilon, and it was a great house. The GE College Bowl was back then and Valparaiso won its matches and 4 of the 5 members of the team were PSEs.  We were nerds but nice nerds.

Anyway I was elected house manager which was the precursor year to president so I promptly transferred to Michigan State.  Two years later the fraternity lost its charter because it pledged women. (this comes under the "well duhhhhh" moment - let me see...VERY conservative university, 40% of students offspring of church workers...60s...hmmmm).  Anyway.  Just thought I'd share.

Comments