Damn. Getting old. Loosing friends

I give you Jane Carmichael.  A soprano of some note who taught at the University of Tulsa for  a quarter century and in that barren wasteland of Oklahoma Arts, stuck it out and did good things. She was a fine friend and a musician. Her grit was really something.

You can read about  her here.  I can't find anything on Youtube that is her singing but I do remember her voice which was lyric, controlled and expressive. You should be thrilled to have one of those attributes when you open your mouth.

I'm amazed that she was 72 ish when she died. She seemed 25 and full of life just years ago. I will take it to the grave that she never aged a minute mentally and her skills were, as Bernstein said of a NYPhil player who sat in the middle of the cello section "pretty damn good".

Comments