All hail Michigan

Growing up in Michigan gave me a certain fondness for the state in general and in my mind's eye Detroit, where I was born (by chance and not by plan) comes up often when you fill things out.  I played golf a lot growing up and the big deal was always a juniors tournament in Detroit or in the area, from the Detroit Golf Club where the national amateur qualifyings were held to the suburban monster that was Oakland Hills. It was all fun and all memorable. On the cultural side, the Detroit Symphony was super as was the Art Institute.  A big deal date was Victor Limm's for chinese and over to one of the real-deal decco theaters for a movie with 5000 other people. Now the plan is floated to bulldoze about 1/4 of the entire city and have it go back to the state of things when I was born over...well..a long long time ago.

The house that I lived in when I was 3 years old is gone of course but it had a barn and there was a vacant lot that had leaves in the fall to pile up and play in.  Is this such a bad thing?

Comments