Just a little experiment in job searches

There is a rather depressing "how to" article on yahoo this morning dealing with industries that are going to "cut back" jobs in the near future.  Some I can see, like retail, with the surge in online buying and others seem sad but logical. But what are we bound for here? What jobs will still exist.

We make virtually nothing anymore. Our heavy industries are shells of what once was. The "be a computer repair" person went out the door when a decent PC because cheaper than a television. 

When I went to Michigan State University in E. Lansing, the great and I mean great summer job was with the Oldsmobile plant in Lansing (that's it in the picture). It paid almost $10/hr and in three months you could have your entire tuition, housing and a year's worth of VW car payments socked away. I got one of those jobs one summer and worked 11p-7a as the plant ran 24/7. I put lugg nuts out in groups of 4....not 5 or 3 as I was always reminded by the foreman..."4..gotta be 4...damn college smarty".

What I dislike most about it all is that the kids today..I mean the kids who are in elementary school and have 5-10 years of not worrying about such things...how will they learn about or how will we teach them about such stuff.  It will be like we are from the moon when we tell them stuff like this and a factory...well grandpa.."what is that"?

Comments