well a full gamut today that's for sure.

So I got to take a swipe at Arnold of California and took a look at Sagaponack, NY, the most expensive small town on the planet and I leave you with Nelda Taylor, my 9th grade Honors English teacher at dear old Central High.

I bring her up because you should know about Nelda.  She was, I suspect, the proto-type spinster english teacher. University of Michigan and a 40 year plus tour of duty cracking the heads of bright kids with Longfellow.  She passed on several years back.  She also dropped a cool million $'s to the University for English Education.

My mom taught next to her and in 1965 when I graduated, the average pay for a teacher was about $8,000 (tenured of course...otherwise it started at $4500 which I was offered in 1969).  So Nelda put together a $1,000,000. She probably never earned more than $15,000 in a year in her life.

When I think about the Wall Street bonus issue and the Goldman bonus take home, and spending $4.4 for a median home in Sagaponack and Arnold talking about soup kitchens and go there for lack of stress.....well you can plainly see why I think this country's values for some have gone to hell in a handbasket.

Comments