Half a million of this and that

We are getting a bit freaky in our reactions to the horde of money in bonuses on the horizon on wall street.  With unemployment new claims bouncing north of half a million now for months the average Goldman bonus (also half a million but $s not potentially lost homes) looks amazingly out of place.

Part of me says hey free market and part of me says that particulary market cost us trillions in gifts and protections so it long past being free by any stretch of the word. 

The only part of it I really dislike intensely is the argument about "talent drain if we don't pay them enough". May I point out that nearly every company outside of Wall Street and the Financials has lost, by payroll reduction or termination, a "key employee" - someone they can point to the future with - so what makes these guys any different.  You loose, you loose. Although tell me where a broker at the low end of a Goldman bonus - say a million bucks - is gonna go find another job that pays as well.

My guess is that few are willing to leave a job with benis so you can kiss that argument goodby.

Comments