Yom Kippur

As a midwest Lutheran, occasional backslider, yet something of a spiritual person, I am continually taken by some of my now good friends here who are Jewish.  This being the eve of Yom Kippur and watching the mental preparations in my midst, I'm treated to the understanding that there are things, rituals, beliefs, observances etc., of which I know little but have been surrounding me my entire life.

I have always had Jewish friends but I never thought of them as such or they me as a Lutheran. We were just friends.  One, a musician who had and has a famous career in the Israeli Philharmonic, I've known now for half a century and whenever I think of certain pieces of music we performed together I think of him and perhaps he does the same. Regardless of how or why, he is in my thoughts as are his family.

I'm learning a lot here and for that I am thankful.  It is a very good thing to realize what it is that is good and pure and perhaps not well understood for no good reason.  It reminds one to be curious and to ask and listen. 

I just read this - "The confession is recited silently, and with each sin that we confess we lightly knock our chest – the domicile of the heart, the seat of our passions and impulses..." 

Comments