Eve of 9-11

I'm surprised that on the eve of the disaster there isn't much more made of it.  Realizing that it is 8 years ago it can be conceded that memories fade and many simply don't want to re-visit at length that horrible day. 

I was in NYC that morning, going to work and I had just arrived at the exactly ontime LIRR Hunterspoint station (8:38) and waiting in line to climb the stairs.  By the time I was approaching the #7 subway entrance the first plane had hit.  Those who know the stop are familiar with the unobstructed view of Manhattan and the smoke was evident.  From the distance it appeared to be just a big fire.  I went down to the subway and emerged at Grand Central, walked over to 5th Ave and upward to my office.  About halfway there everything stopped. Traffic stopped. Pedestrians stopped and turned to look south. The second plane had just hit and the non-curious curiosity of city folk fairly quickly moved to panic and concern.  I got to the office and all eyes were on the TV monitors that dotted the offices.

The rest of the day was a blurr. Phones were out or overloaded. Cell phones were useless. I got out an email to family saying I was fine and at work...not that I was in any danger but we officed accross from Rockerfeller Center and everyone felt that was a target.  My daughter was working at a magazine next to the Empire State Building and they all left work to get out of that area.

About 1p I ventured out to go to the blood bank which was lined up around the block. The first of the wall street workers who were evacuating the area were marching up Madison perhaps to apartments and I was struck by the dust. Those close to the area were easy to spot as they were covered in ash and dust..white concrete dust.

When the railroads opened up late in the day the trains were jammed as car traffic wasn't possible exiting the city. Again the concrete dust. Everyone wanted to ask them questions but there wasn't much talk and the dazed looks somewhat forbid inquiries.

Although not close and in no danger the entire episode is burned in my memory. I hope that it is still in everyone else's.

Comments