Après nous le déluge

Mr. Trump
I watched that little strutting popinjay strut around the Rose Garden in some sort of victory lap after the House of Representatives voted to kill any number of Americans.  I suggested that the real trouble is when Mr. Trump is found out about being a Russian stooge, a flim-flam artist, and someone who uses the office of the President as an ATM machine, the problems will begin...the real trouble.  That's when about 40% of the Trump-worshipers will go crazy.  Hence, Après nous le déluge
"Après nous, le déluge" ("After us, the deluge") is a French expression, attributed to Madame de Pompadour, the lover of King Louis XV of France. An alternative form, attributed to Louis himself, is "Après moi, le déluge" ("After me, comes the flood"). The saying came after the Battle of Rossbach in 1757, which was disastrous for the French.
The expression has two possible meanings: 'After me, the deluge will come,' asserting that if the revolution ended his reign, the nation would be plunged into chaos; or 'After me, let the deluge come,' implying "I don't care what happens after I'm gone."
Seems so appropriate. N'est pas?

Comments