At the desk of Winston Smith

Airstrip One, Oceana 

It seems in the Great State of Floriduhhh, there was an edict put forth by Great Scott the Governor that certain scientific terms related to climate, sea levels, etc., were forbidden. It reminded me of 1984 by Orwell; read last in high school and now seemingly revisited by Gov. Great Scott.  If you have forgotten:

gov. scott greeting  floriduhhh environmentalists
"The tyranny is epitomized by Big Brother, the quasi-divine Party leader who enjoys an intense cult of personality but who may not even exist. The Party "seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power."The protagonist of the novel, Winston Smith, is a member of the Outer Party, who works for the Ministry of Truth (or Minitrue), which is responsible 
the governor draws closer
for propaganda and 
historical revisionism. His job is to rewrite past newspaper articles, so that the historical record always supports the party line".

I find revisionists particularly troubling.  First of all, for those of us who know a bit of it, to have the rug pulled out from our knowledge base confuses me no end. Stuff I knew for decades is no longer true.  It has been replaced by stuff I never heard of. Wow. Second, I have four grand daughters, each as smart as a whip.  I care a great deal about how and what they
all hail big brother
learn.  I want them to be able to know the difference between a bedtime story and their science books.

Great Scott.  Oh brother!!



I will resist at all costs living in Floriduhh for any length of time.


Comments