Ça n'a pas l'air d'être écrit

I have a friend of some 40 years who resides in Barcelona, a city I have never visited and in a country that I once landed in due to bad mechanical issues so it is a real life mystery to me. 
In the late 60s, while at Michigan State finishing my masters, our university orchestra played this and another orchestra I was involved with did as well.  I was hooked on all things "Iberian".  Reading a book on bullfighting, Franco, the Revolution and a few magnificent movies put me over the top. 
That of course brings me to a favorite piece of music.  Take a few minutes and listen in.  It will do your heart good on this cold day.
II. Ibéria (1905–1908)
  1. Par les rues et par les chemins ("Through the streets and the paths") - inspired by rondo form
  1. Les parfums de la nuit ("The fragrance of the night") - the atmosphere of a fascinating Spanish night
  1. Le matin d'un jour de fête ("The morning of a festival day") - a procession of a 'banda de guitarras'.

Ibéria is the most popular of the three orchestral Images and itself forms a triptych within a triptych. The three sections of Ibéria are:
The music is inspired by impressions of Spain.  a quote from Debussy to Caplet from a letter of 26 February 1910:
You can't imagine how naturally the transition works between 'Parfums de la nuit' and 'Le Matin d'un jour de fête. Ça n'a pas l'air d'être écrit.


Comments