1978, orchestra meeting, ham and cheese and snow

Grilled ham and cheese on a winter night

I'll be a good neighbor with a good fence
It is snowing of course. Not the blizzard of 1978...just a few inches but snow nonetheless. The wind isn't blowing but it is cold and damp and I'm all ready for a log fire and something banal on TV until the Kentucky basketball game comes on.

I would, on nights like this, suggest a dinner of very hot tomato soup, grilled cheese and ham sandwiches and some of those "frozen food" turnovers for desert.  Hot hot and hot.

I'll admit to a certain food snobbery...why not?....by  best estimates of my "affliction", I've got about 7-800 dinners left so I want to enjoy everyone - (no feeding tube for me thank you).  I want the taste, the crunch, the "warm in your hand" of a simple meal that is delicious.

Years and years ago, I had a leadership meeting of the youth orchestra I was associated with as conductor.  8 or so souls showed up in a little house in Lexington and I held forth with tomato soup and grilled cheese and what not.....just me and these kids...we listened to music, talked about the orchestra and its direction, and probably some stuff unrelated but of interest to them....I loved those kids...they were amazing people and now, 40 years later...still friends on Facebook and in my heart.

Soups on.


Comments