By all accounts, and this being less than a decade after Lyndon Johnson's Voting Rights legislation, after the March to Selma, after some murderous thugs killed some college kids who were down south to help organize the vote, my parents had landed in a political backwater from hell...or so I thought being a white, northern liberal.
Sure enough the Justice Department finally found their was to town and figured that since the town was about 40% black and out of 5 town council seats, never once was a black elected, there was something afoot. They forced the town to do away with 5 "at large" seats and divide up the town into 5 districts. The town promptly went to 3:2 white:black on the council and there was finally discussion on why 40% of the town had dirt roads only and why 40% had to pay a surcharge for the water system and why 40% of the town went to 1 high school and 60% went to the other. All stops were pulled out to keep the 40% at bay - voter registration being one of them.
So here we are. About 150,000 folks in Alabama lack the proper "ID" to vote. To get it, they have to get to a place that issues them, provide some ID that they have to get to prove who they are so to get an ID that proves who they say they are and about all of them have been voting for years. The Driver's License Bureau dispenses voter authorizations except the State closed all of them in predominantly black counties. We are back in the south shortly after the Voting Rights Act and fighting that battle anew. We have walked 50 years back in time.
We have, however, a new group of pinheads who figure controlling the vote will give them a purchase on control of things; dirt roads, bad schools and the rest of societies sorry lot of bad social choices. If people lose the right to vote freely and efficiently, all the other rights are in jeopardy. Every single one. The vote is the only thing standing in the way of some sort of weird "at large" society. It is the "gun in the dresser drawer" protection against unfettered majority rule.
The day the GOP stands up for voting rights as paramount to gun slinging rights is the day society will be thinking straight. Right now, it isn't.