...on the Feast of Stephen....also boxing day

St. Stephen's Day
This is the second day of Christmas.Want to know more? Really?

Yesterday was the partridge in a pear tree...today is two turtledoves....but really it is:

"The wren, the wren, the king of all birds,
St. Stephen's Day was caught in the furze,
Although he was little his honour was great,
Jump up me lads and give us a treat".
The "furze" (line 2) is gorse so a wren in the gorse, a far cry from a "partridge in a pear tree" which many feel is the Gift of Jesus to us - something like the saying "the cat's meow" to describe some really big time stuff, "I'll tell ya'!! That present he gave me was the gift of Jesus, sure enough".

It is also Boxing Day, probably a take off on St. Stephen's Day and gifts to the more unfortunate among us or to those who serve us.  Enough? Cry Uncle.  .... "....on the feast of Stephen...."  see?  I'm doing the best I can. I don't have much to work from.


Comments