Turning on a Dime


Boy, let me tell ya'.  

Life has its share of surprises, like it or not.  I guess that is why they are called surprises. I use the spinning Euro above because there were no good spinning dime gifs, a dime isn't worth a hoot anyway, and - well - you get the point...

I've always been a fan of Kismet - the musical, the music and the entire idea of it. It helps me deal with things when stuff – life stuff – turns on a dime. You know, going one way and suddenly you go another?

 I don't know the philosopher's name but he was French and lived in the 1860s or so - cloudy memory - and he supposed that the air was full of somewhat magical powers in the form of little particles and who you turned out to be, your talents etc., were ordained when you took a breath and inhaled one of the bubbles.  It was his way of describing the "road of chance" taken or not, determined or not, undertaken or not.  He further believed that chance plays a huge role in life from being in the right place at the right time or being underneath a piano falling from a rooftop - all a matter of chance.

Kismet isn't chance though; it is fate and there is a subtle difference. Chance is "heads I turn right, tails I go left". Kismet is "no matter what, I was meant to go left" (flip of the coin or not).

When you think of it, kismet is a much more elegant explanation of things that happen; something of a pre-determination or pre-destination of the Calvinist belief set.  Kismet has its origins in the Middle East where it means "luck" - not chance. Luck and fate but as in "it has been my luck ... or it has been my fate..."

Well, things turned on a dime last week.  There was more than a wee bit of luck; luck that the helicopter could land, luck that a path was clear of snow, luck that...well just a bucket of good luck.  Overall though, it was Kismet - it was meant to be, like it or not, happy about it or not.  It is what it is.

You can spend your time screaming to the sky about bad luck or you can accept Kismet for what it is....what will be will be.




Comments