Knaben Wunderhorn


 The 1890s were one of those "in between" decades in Europe - mainly "in between" wars.  Otherwise it is known as the "watershed" decade complete with Robber Barons, Ellis Island, 100 lynchings a year in the south, the Jim Crow laws, and a lot of pretty interesting things (I ran across this page and it is worth thinking about).

So this piece by Mahler from the Youth's Magic Horn (1893) seemed to team well with the article.

14.Urlicht
O Röschen rot!
Der Mensch liegt in größter Not!
Der Mensch liegt in größter Pein!
Je lieber möcht’ ich im Himmel sein!
Da kam ich auf einen breiten Weg.
Da kam ein Engelein und wollt mich abweisen.
Ach nein! Ich ließ mich nicht abweisen!
Ach nein! Ich ließ mich nicht abweisen:
Ich bin von Gott, und will wieder zu Gott!
Der liebe Gott wird mir ein Lichtchen geben,
wird leuchten mir bis in das ewig selig Leben!
14.PrimevalLight
O little red rose!
Man lies in greatest need!
Man lies in greatest pain!
Even more would I rather be in heaven!
There I came upon a broad path.
There came an angel and wanted to turn me away.
Ah no, I would not be turned away!
Ah no, I would not be turned away:
I am from God and want to return to God!
The loving God will give me a little of the light,
will illuminate me into the eternal blessed life!





The music....don't give up early on....just listen while you read. 


Comments