|The Koch Brothers blot out the sun|
Here are some things you need to know about the Sooner State:
- The state, aside from a couple cities, hasn't recovered a great deal from the dust bowl of the 30s.
- The sun beats down on it like crazy...hot takes on new meaning.
- It ranks 3rd in earthquake frequency behind Alaska and California (due to fracking I might add)
- It has a GOP legislature that thinks it is a good idea for folks to carry concealed weapons to bars.
- It has a governor, a Ms. Fallin, who appears to be "on the take" from big energy (e.g. the Kochs)
The Koch’s latest scheme, aided by anti-tax crusader Grover Norquist along with several major power companies and a national association representing conservative state legislators, are aiming to kill preferences for the burgeoning solar power industry that have been put into law in dozens of states. Kansas, North Carolina and Arizona are their first targets, with more to come. Oklahoma has already been bought and paid for.
On Monday, Oklahoma’s Republican Gov. Mary Fallin signed a bill passed by the GOP-controlled Legislature that authorizes electric utilities to tack a surcharge on the bills of private citizens who have installed solar panels or wind turbines on their homes. That’s right, Oklahomans who have spent money to generate their own clean and green power now must pay compensation to the power companies.
Did I mention stupid in my list of Oklahoma attributes?