The inventor of the cheese doodle dies at 90....proving their inherent goodness

Many of us consider this the perfect food.  A group all its own. Although I prefer the softer ones, others around me prefer the crunchy more spindly type.  My grand kids like the little round balls but we don't buy them as a pure of food group as they are, this is an adult snack, like a martini or a good cognac/cigar, and reserved for those of us at an age when we can truly appreciate the heritage involved.

My parents were against them in the house; fearing that playing pool and betting on horses would soon follow. When I went off to college, at a conservative religious (Protestant so not crazy) school following Martin Luther (in northern Indiana) my early research indicated that Martin enjoyed a variation of the Cheese Doodle and did so with milk flavored with the newly imported and equally deadly "chocolate".

As a scholar, I felt it wise to experiment  and duplicate Luther's great discovery and I clearly remember a winter night in 1965 during the first term of my freshman year when, at great risk, I ventured to a PigglyWiggly market across the highway and bought various small bags of Doodles and a quart of the devil milk to wash them down.  I report to you now that Doodles dissolve when coming in contact with chocolate milk - even low fat chocolate milk - and the resultant mixture is, well...as Luther found out...is spectacular. 

The inventor of the Doodle died the other day.  How do we honor a man who brought us such joy.

Comments